Eating small snacks between meals can help you maintain energy levels and stay on track. By grabbing a bite between meals, you’ll be less hungry and more able to resist temptation. But be aware — not all snacks are created equal. A well balanced snack will keep you energized, while one that is heavy, and carbohydrate-laden may leave you drained and craving a nap.
To keep you energy level high, stay away from fatty foods like French fries and potato chips, as well as super-sugary snacks like candy bars and sodas.
Here are a few guilt-free snacks that will also complement your nutritional program.
Basic but Good
- Carrot and celery sticks
- Cucumber spears
- Green pepper sticks
- Zucchini slices
- Broccoli and cauliflower florets, raw or lightly steamed
- Organic rice cakes lightly salted, or unsalted
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 small handful of olives
- Applegate smoked turkey, spread with a tablespoon of cream cheese and rolled into a pinwheel
- 1/4 cup hummus and vegetable sticks
- Organic rice crackers
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup of vegetable chips
- One handful of roasted or raw nuts; peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds in shell
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 pieces ham or prosciutto and 4 dried figs
- Naturally cured beef, buffalo, or turkey jerky
- Organic popcorn, microwave or air-popped (Newman’s organic butter flavored microwave popcorn is tasty.)
Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
- Fresh fruit
- Frozen grapes
- Fruit smoothie made with a frozen banana, milk (organic, rice, almond or coconut milk) cocoa or peanut butter and protein powder
- 1/2 frozen banana rolled in toasted coconut
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter with apple slices
- 2 stalks of celery stuffed with 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 container organic plain Greek yogurt topped with fresh fruit
- Baked apple (Granny Smith) made sprinkled with cinnamon, stuffed with chopped walnuts or pecans, raisins and a drizzle of honey.
- Home-made trail mix made with raisins, raw almonds. raw sunflower seed and organic, unsweetened dried pineapple
- Protein shake made with 2 tablespoons of protein powder and almond or rice milk. (Try Standard Process’ Whey Pro Complete, Shaklee’s Energizing Soy Protein, or Sunwarrior’s Warrior Blend Raw Protein)
- 1/2 cup Rice Dream vanilla (ice cream substitute)
Snacks like these will form the basis for a healthy diet and help maintain natural energy levels. For more ways our Nutrition Therapy programs can help you, return to our Home Page.