As a chiropractor in Garland TX, many of my patients ask for advice about mattresses. A good mattress can be an important factor in reducing back pain. Sleeping on an old or saggy mattress can effect the alignment of the back and add to back pain.
The investment in a new bed can have a handsome return in terms of better sleep and less neck and back pain. But the cost of a new mattress can be substantial, so it makes sense to take plenty of time to explore your options. If you want to save money on your new bed, have your chiropractor in Garland write a letter outlining the medical necessity for the purchase. With this letter in hand, many stores will waive the normal taxes.
Many of my Garland chiropractic patients have heard that you must sleep on a very firm mattress to properly support the back. This old stereotype no longer holds true. Pillow-top mattresses that have good underlying springs will often provide the necessary support while gently cushioning the body. Mattresses made of memory foam can also provide great support. In many cases, it may come down to personal preference. Whatever style you choose, the mattress you select should be very comfortable, so that you can get a good night’s rest.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when buying a new mattress:
- Look for a mattress that is seven to eighteen inches in depth, with enough springs to provide support for body while allowing for the spine’s alignment and the body’s natural curves.
- Look for a bed that is a comfortable height. Consider whether the bed will be easy to get in and out of.
- Visit a store with showroom that has many brands and models on display. One way to begin your search is to lie on both very firm and very soft mattresses. This will give you a point of comparison. Then find a mattress that falls somewhere in the middle, perhaps closer to the firm end of the scale. Try lying on the mattress the way you would on your own bed. Take your time and evaluate the mattresses thoroughly.
If you already own a comfortable mattress, here are a few extra tips that can help relieve the back and joint stiffness that often occurs while sleeping:
- Look for a pillow that comfortably supports your neck. Our Garland chiropractic office offers contoured pillows that will help keep your neck properly aligned during sleep. Avoid using too many pillows. This can create neck strain.
- If you have back pain, try using a small pillow between your knees when you sleep. This can keep your hips properly positioned and will ease lower back pain.
- If you share your bed with a partner, make sure the mattress is big enough for you both to sleep comfortably in an uncrowded position.
I also recommend that you get regular chiropractic care. When your spine and joints are in proper alignment, your whole body benefits. Not only can our chiropractic treatment relieve aches and pains, but many of our patients experience additional benefits like improved immune function, fewer headaches and decreased allergies.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor in Garland TX, contact our front office staff today.